Friday, August 27, 2010

Geek Glasses:Beauty is in the lens of the beholder

Sabina's Vision:
     Back in the day, "four-eyes" was definitely not a term of endearment. From wayfarers to horn-rimmed glasses to the huge Buddy Holly frames that seem to swallow one's face, geeks have sought shelter behind a multitude of shimmering walls to escape the animosity that came with bad eyesight.
     Travel back to the 50's, 60's, and 70's and behold! Boys and girls, shunned for their geeky/nerdy tendencies, donning what we would today consider the stereotypical garb for one in their positions. The suspenders, the crisp shirts, the braces, the flowey grandma frocks, and the cherry on top....the glasses.
     Come back to 2010. You can't turn a street corner, walk into a store, or graze past some hipster teen without noticing the hottest accessory to ever hit pre pubescent Bieber boppers. BIG...GEEKY....GLASSES.
     The ones I'm wearing above are unprescribed and cost a mere $5
YES, I said it...they are NOT prescribed.
I do wear contacts and I wear glasses. My prescription frames are of a cat-like design, I'm a glasses fiend.
I get a lot of compliments on my big Buddy Holly frames. They are cute, sturdy, and I can wear my blue contacts (prescription) and still have clear vision.
     However not everyone is a fan of them. The other day a couple of people gave me flak for wearing fake glasses. I'm sorry Mr. buff white man with your mystic tan and tribal tattoo around your ankle, (which by the way he knew NOTHING about) WHY is it stupid to wear these?
Him: "It's just dumb."
  With an answer like that, I probably should have laughed and walked away. The answer as to why I purchased these frames is simple. I didn't ride the fact that "history repeats itself," I bought these because I thought they were *DUN DUN DUN*......cute.
     NEVER in a million years will I understand WHY people in the primitive age of 1960 ever thought that these things were a badge of exile amongst the less popular crowd. Huge sparkly glasses are positively darling, why wouldn't I buy a pair!?
Bullies would smash these glasses in but nowadays places like Selima Optique are selling unprescribed frames for over $300. (Awful but true)
     I am an accessory freak, I mean I chose coloured contacts because I thought blue was SO my colour, why wouldn't I pick adorable eyewear?
Whoever you are, where ever you are, express yourself anyway you want and can. Don't give people guff for innocent things such as glasses because lets face it I'd rather wear fake glasses than have a fake tan.
-Sabina Gallier

No comments:

Post a Comment